Re: ASM and 4-way replication?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:10:29 -0800

MarcelD wrote:
> hpuxrac schrieb:
>

>> Oracle dataguard could be setup to do this.

> I was thinking about using DataGuard, but I believe it has
> disadvantages compared to a cluster-solution:
> - manual intervention necessary to promote standby
> - performance loss due to online redo log copies in zero data loss mode

The RAC Pack, and Tom Kyte, have often presented on the subject of Extended RAC. Whether it is, or is not, better for your purposes than Data Guard is a matter of understanding your SLA.

Depending on your storage vendor you might also be able to use a snap mirror technology to replicate changed blocks. And as Jedidiah has said: Expect that no matter the technology you are going to likely want fibre.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington