Re: Free Linux to run Oracle

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:02:23 GMT

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:32:24 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Yes. Given that you are an Oracle consultant and need a platform from
>>> which you can work ... stay away from them.
>>
>> 	Actually, learning to run Oracle on any random distribution that may
>> be plopped in front of you will give you an enhanced understanding of how to
>> work with Linux and put you head and shoulders above some of the other
>> pretenders.
>>
>> 	Consider the fight with Fedora as part of the learning experience.
>>
>> 	Sweat in peacetime saves blood in wartime... not just for Marines.

> Three seconds before, unless you have an evil clone, you wrote:
>
> "If you are interested in trying to get real work done whether
> it is on the desktop or on the server then you should at least bother
> to NOT INSTALL A KNOWN EXPERIMENTAL VERSION OF THE PRODUCT."
>
> It seems to me you are disagreeing with yourself.

I think he's saying

... to learn ORACLE use certified Linux, clone or one known to work &

     already 'integrated' by the community (orarun, cookbook, or equiv);

... to learn Oracle ENVIRONMENT, learn how to integrate

     using one of the public betas, Fedora, or equiv.

He just said it much more elegantly than I could...

<g>

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!