Re: Competition for OraPerf

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 05:30:35 GMT

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 03:35:13 +0000, HansF wrote:

> He's absolutely correct - it's a solid state disk device. Admittedly not
> quite like the SCSI or IDE SSDs from M-Systems or SolidData, which are the
> more common interpretation of 'SSD' and still generally run in the $10K
> range last time I checked (about 2 months ago).

I am not sure, but I think I've seen one with SCSI3 interface for $6000. Capacity was rather small, something like 20GB. I haven't checked that for a while. That can still do wonders for "log file sync" waits, which are a major problem on any high intensity OLTP database.

An you can only make it into a FAT fat file system, which is very @#$%%^ annoying.

> I've found with the flash drives is that write speed tends to be a bit on
> the low side, even compared to read speed.

I have only a personal impressions, which are unreliable at best. On the other hand, RamSan devices with FC/AL interface are rather expensive and, after reading the specification, I don't believe are meant for laptops. Power consumption is in the dishwasher range (350W) and the contraption weighs 80lbs. You would need a big laptop for that. http://www.superssd.com/products/ramsan-400/indexb.htm

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com