Re: Free Linux to run Oracle

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 23:38:52 GMT

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 17:14:56 -0600, Tim wrote:

> Mladen Gogala wrote:

>> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 22:46:35 +0000, Tim wrote:
>>

>> Thanks! That's what I was asking for. Is it OpenSuSE 10.1 or SuSE 10.1?
>> SuSE is not free, while OpenSuSE is similar to Fedora.
>>

> I downloaded SuSE 10.1 quite a while back. I don't think at that time
> is was called 'OpenSuSE', it was a limited time (introductory) download
> from Novell that was not called Enterprise version. It looks to me like
> it is the same as the current OPEN SuSE 10.1 however. If I were going
> to download SuSE again, I would do the Open SuSE 10.1 ..

As far as I can tell, there is no SuSE 10, SuSE 10.1, openSuSE 10.1.

The 'pay for support' products from Novell have the word 'Enterprise' in them. These are part of SuSE Linux Enterprise 10 family as described at http://www.novell.com/linux/ The current ones are

The 'community support' product from OpenSUSE community is 'SuSE Linux' (without the Enterprise word). These are available from the http://www.openSuSE.org website. You can purchase a CD & DVD set of this, which some people misinterpret as making the distro not-free.

Unfortunately, the OpenSUSE community appears not to have settled on whether they want the word 'open' in the name of the distro. We have 'SuSE Linux 10', 'SuSE Linux 10.1' and 'openSuSE 10.2' is currently in beta.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!