Re: Why Oracle Enforce Name Uniquness ???!!!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 10:29:05 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:
> HansF wrote:

>> As to 'why' ... as I'd already mentioned, it's Oracle's sandbox so they
>> can use the rules they wish.  I'm sure there were historical reasons that
>> have influenced recent decisions.   What I find interesting is that
>> the original poster was surprised to get
>> caught on this AND did not use the documentation.

> Hans,
>
> Actually I don't find that interesting at all. Reason being that I get
> requests the other way around all the time, just on DB2.
> There are two reasons to get surprised I can think of:
> 1. The rules are different in other products and all that's needed is
> some outside experience to get surprised by the change.

Well I'm surprised that you are surprised. The rule for working with multiple database products has always been that things are different and that you need to read the concepts and architecture docs. Not start banging code and then react in horror when something is different.

Should people used to work with DB2 and Oracle recoil in horror that SQL Server doesn't have sequences? Should people used to working with SQL Server recoil in shock and amazement when they discover Oracle doesn't have an identity data type?

I hope not.

> 2. The rules are unintuitive. That is they cannot be reasoned in an
> obvious fashion.
> I'm in no position to throw stones in the glass house here, btw. Just
> amused by the prevalent acceptance of any quirk in this group.

And why is this a quirk? Is the fact that the most popular RDBMS on the market is different (better I would say) than some others is not a quirk. It is a matter of design created by brilliant people.

Microsoft is scrambling to duplicate RAC which they used to dismiss with such negative statements. What was a quirk is now central to their strategy to compete.

> My crowd is way more critical.

I've seen the demographics: Your crowd is close to becoming petrified. ;-)

> Are you saying you always read the manual first and never get surprised?
> ;-)
>
> Cheers
> Serge

No. But I'm going to say that when I am surprised I read the manual before making statements in a usenet group ... having learned a valuable lesson from Howard Rogers.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington