Re: Read-Only Table : DISABLE VALIDATE ?

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2006 03:27:07 -0800

klabu wrote:
> ALTER TABLE myemp MODIFY CONSTRAINT pk_myemp
> DISABLE VALIDATE;
>
> SQL> INSERT INTO myemp (empno) VALUES (21);
>
> ORA-25128: No insert/update/delete on table with constraint (klabu.PK_myemp)
> disabled and validated
>
> 1) WHY "DISABLE VALIDATE" must disallow I/U/D on the table ?
> 2) Is this a "proper" way to make a table READ-ONLY ? what caveats ?
>
> thanks
>

> --
> 10gR2

  1. Ask yourself the following question: Does it make sense to allow insert/update/delete when you *do* have a PK and have disallowed the PK to be checked?
  2. If you want to make a table readonly put it in a read-only tablespace. The method you use right now demonstrates your desire to end up in utter messes with doing as little effort as possible.

I have a question for you: do you really plan to rehearse *every single command* with this forum without reading the documentation? Why don't you start using your fingers and -more importantly- your brains and stop asking questions with obvious and documented answers?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA