Free Linux to run Oracle

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 06:10:16 GMT

I've had enormous problems with FC5 and I've just tried with FC6. Oracle 10.2, I'm sorry to say, doesn't work on that distribution. In retrospect, I approve of Oracle's recent move into Linux arena. If red Hat did not have enough sense to make Oracle working on their distros, Oracle did the right thing, by taking care of the problem themselves. This commendable move, however, will not have much impact on Fedora which will have to be abandoned as an Oracle platform.
As a person still running FC4 on my home computer, I started looking for the new candidates. So far, OpenSuse and Ubuntu seem like good alternatives. I planned on switching to FC6 over the Thanksgiving, but Oracle 10.2.0.1 did not work and, to add insult to the injury, FC6 overwrote my grub installation, which was extremely annoying. Therefore, I'm soliciting opinions about OpenSuse and Ubuntu. Did anybody try these things? I know that Oracle 10 works on OpenSuse 10.1. What is a general opinion of that distribution?

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com