Re: Why Oracle Enforce Name Uniquness ???!!!

From: <hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2006 22:09:23 -0800

DA Morgan wrote :
> hasta_l3_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote :

> >> CREATE TABLE employee ....
> >
> >> A name should have meaning.
> >
> > The point was that the names of the problem domain
> > are necessary but not sufficient to drive the naming of
> > oracle objects.
> >

> SQL> desc user_source
> Name Null? Type
> ----------------------------------------- -------- --------------
> NAME VARCHAR2(30)
> TYPE VARCHAR2(12)
> LINE NUMBER
> TEXT VARCHAR2(4000)
>
> SQL>
>
> You have up to 30 characters ... use some imagination. ;-)

Daniel Daniel Daniel..... :-)

In this thread, a claim was sort of made that if one used names from the problem space, then no name conflict would happen in the Oracle representation.

I exhibited a counter-example disproving the claim, that's all.

This doesn't imply any judgement from me on whether the current situation is a problem, or on how hard it is to further discriminate, or whatever... Received on Sun Nov 05 2006 - 00:09:23 CST