Re: Limitation of Oracle XE

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 04:38:26 GMT

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:37:27 -0800, leo wrote:

> Hi!
>
> What is the maximum number connection of Oracle XE? 10? below 10?

The answer, in typical Oracle fashion, is 'It depends'.

With the default 'processes' setting, on my Linux laptop I see 22 connections

  pop2_at_fuzzy:~> ps -ef | grep sqlplus | wc -l   22

I know people have attained a lot more by adjusting the 'processes' parameter. I've heard of people shooting for over 100 simultaneous connections.

With the APEX/HTMLDB using Shared Server, I suspect the 'effective simultaneous connections' could get wacky-high by taking advantage of think-time at the user end.

Windows? Well, as other have pointed out, Microsoft has an artificial limit of concurrent network connections on some version of Windows to ensure one buys the right Edition. After all, we don't want an XP Pro working as a server ... and that limit overrides any limit Oracle places on the machine.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!