Re: Strange results

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 18:09:29 -0800

joel garry wrote:
> tawright915 wrote:

>> Read much...I already posted the correct query. Just drop it.  Charles
>> answered my question and helped me out.  What have you done for the
>> group..except cut people down and look like a group troll that provides
>> no useful information.

> Check out
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/about?hl=en
>
> Note the top couple of posters.
>
>> And please do not speak for someone else. And if I had wanted your
>> advice..I would have replied directly to you....which I did not until
>> now.....bad mistake on my part.

> You are posting to a group, anyone can answer. I don't see him
> speaking for someone else. Charles has been excellent in this group,
> and Daniel explicitly said "with respect."
>
> Most of us who have been here for a while agree that there is a problem
> with many posters not posting exactly what they should, all of us have
> made that mistake at one time or another. Some people think Daniel is
> too harsh, I think if you look at what we've had to deal with here at
> times, it is understandable. I'm not defending Daniel, he's perfectly
> capable of defending himself. You just have to remember this is
> usenet, and not take it personally unless it is very explicitly
> personal. Top-posting _is_ strongly discouraged in this group.
>
> See http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj16
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> "Caltrans Stuck in Traffic" - seen on sigalert traffic incidents

And my point was simply that the problem might lay in the code that was not posted rather than what was since there were two obvious errors.

It is certainly not my intent to be arrogant, harsh, or otherwise immitate a person with bad manners: And I almost never say RTFM to anyone.

But what I refuse to do, speaking only for myself, is to make assumptions about what is wrong when I know I have insufficient or incorrect information.

Also it is important to note that this is usenet and sometimes pieces of the tree don't navigate their way to everyone's usenet server. So I, for example, never saw a copy of the correct statement.

Hope that clears up some of it.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington