Re: recovery issue...

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 01:27:27 +0100

hpuxrac schrieb:
> Volker Hetzer wrote:

>> hpuxrac schrieb:
>>> Volker Hetzer wrote:
>>> Block corruption is just something that I encounter in my environment.
>>> It's a huge danger sign of possible instability in your disk subsystem
>>> somewhere.

> Oops sorry I meant to say that I "don't" encounter in my environment.
>
>> Ok, but what can one do with asm? At least with file based stuff I could
>> run fsck.

> You should still be able to fix corrupt blocks even running under asm
> right? At least if you can process through your archive logs you
> should be able to!

Problem is I can't.
Looking through the alert.log I got an ORA-00600 issue on monday noon, the monday evening backup was okay, on tuesday a materialized view refresh job failed and the tuesday evening backup failed too. I don't know whether archived logs work that way but I suspect that the block was corrupt in memory, caused a corrupt archived log and then proceeded to shoot down the database.

>> I fear that may be an aftershock of a RAID controller crash we had a few
>> weeks ago. We added an archivelog target on our netapp filer in order
>> to cover controller issues. Worked out great. :-(

> Good luck.

Yeah, thanks.
At least, the third support guy looks like he's staying until I'm through this.

This whole stuff, including the ORA-00600 errors started when we started to use spatial in a really intensive way with sql*loader into nologging tables. I never suspected that this is a way to lose totally unrelated data but tomorrow I'm going to ask my boss for a bit of hardware in order to separate out the spatial stuff. We don't need recovery there but some other apps will soon.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.