Re: report server problem

From: <shochatd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2006 08:00:47 -0800

Radoulov, Dimitre wrote:
> ...You have to trace the server and you can do it with the
> following command "truss -faldep <reports_server_pid>" ,
> and again, the output will not be easy to read/interpret.

I did that (not just for the rwserver process but also for the osagent and rwengine processes that seem to be started up when you start rwserver), but none of that truss output contained the name of my .rdf file anywhere.

> Another "quick check" you can do is to verify the _real_ environment of the
> reports server process:
>
> /usr/ucb/ps auxwwwe | grep <reports_server_pid> | grep REPORTS_PATH

Wow. That is a great command which I did NOT know about. It showed that rwserver and those other process I mentioned above have REPORTS_PATH set correctly, i.e. to the directory that contains my .rdf file.

> >Isn't there a way
> > to run the reports server in some sort of verbose debugging mode?
>
> See ML Note 237301.1 Logging and Tracing in Reports 9.0.x

Funny you should mention that. I had already started to study that document. Anyway, I tried turning on tracing as instructed, namely I added:
<trace traceOpts="trace_all"/>
to $ORACLE_HOME/reports/conf/repsrv.conf and restarted the server. But with that change, I consistently fail to connect to the server (from rwclient).
-- David Received on Thu Nov 02 2006 - 10:00:47 CST