Re: rman confusion

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2006 10:06:12 -0800

EdStevens wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > EdStevens wrote:
> > > Oracle 9.2 STANDARD Edition on Solaris 5.9
> > >
> > > On Friday (Oct 27) I brought up a new database, quickly configured rman
> > > and took an incremental 0 backup. Today (Oct 30) I began putting
> > > together scripts to handle all of the backup requirements -- weekly
> > > inc. 0, daily inc. 1, crosschecking, etc. I'm sure what I'm seeing is
> > > 'as advertised', but I'm missing something here...
> > >
> > > Here is the configuration:
> > >
> > > RMAN> show all;
> > >
> > > RMAN configuration parameters are:
> > > CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 15 DAYS;
> > > CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
> > > CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
> > > CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
> > > CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
> > > '/db01/flash_recovery_area/CARGOPD/backup/%F';
> > > CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1;
> > > CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
> > > CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
> > >
> > > So why is it wanting to delete the backup control files that are only 3
> > > days old, with a 15-day retention policy? Obviously, I'm not
> > > understanding something here.
> >
> > Redundancy?
> > http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmconfg.htm#446251
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > http://theriotwheel.com/Introduction.html

> Joel,
>

> Not sure exactly what it is about redundancy you were pointing me to,
> and how it might pertain. I had RETENTION POLICY set to RECOVERY
> WINDOW OF n DAYS, not REDUNDANCY.
>

> Anyway, I found MetaLink note 227398.1 - 'Known RMAN Bugs in Oracle9i'
> that had some promising points and work arounds. I'll be combing
> through them this morning.

For the record, after studying MetaLink note 227398.1 and doing some more testing, it appears that I was hitting bug 2458246. Fixed in 9.2.0.2 and 10i. Work around was to use RETENTION POLICY of REDUNDANCY instead of RECOVERY WINDOW, and turning off AUTOBACKUP of control file.  (This DB will be upgraded to 10.2 in the next quarter, coincidental to moving to new hardware.) Received on Tue Oct 31 2006 - 12:06:12 CST