Re: SGA and PGA

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Oct 2006 13:55:25 -0800

astalavista wrote:
> > I would suggest setting reasonable defaults, make sure db_cache_advice
> > = on and use the advisors to adjust.
> > 2500M is likely unnecessary, or you must be working exclusively with
> > untuned SQL. Even in that case such a value wouldn't help. Shared pool
> > = typically 250M java pool = 150M buffer cache = 512M usually
> > sufficient.
> > Large pool is only used for shared server and RMAN.
>
> Is java_pool required if you don't use java in the database ?

I don't believe that it is. However, I don't know because that is one I keep set, because you have to explicitly not install java when you first install 9.2, otherwise you have to always set it when you patch, and never install java.

I'm not convinced damagement will be truthful when asked if you will never install java. When they all-of-a-sudden decide AS or some Oracle tool or some 3rd-party tool is the cat's pajamas, then you have work. Better to just leave it there, ready to go, IMO. It's only 150M out of your SGA, after all. YMMV.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
So that's how you get firearms into courthouses...