Re: oracle performance

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 29 Oct 2006 17:14:57 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > DA Morgan wrote:

> >> And just to get semantically picky there is no such thing as a database
> >> instance.
> >
> > Why don't you look through Tom Kyte's most recent book and see how many
> > times he uses that set of words?
>
> With all due respect for Tom, and my respect for him is immense, I think
> you will find that if you review Oracle Database Concepts these terms
> are defined.
>
> "This combination of the SGA and the Oracle processes is called an
> Oracle instance."
> Source:
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/startup.htm#CNCPT601
>
> Then please consider what happens when you issue the following command:
>
> SQL> drop database;
>
> When you issue this statement, Oracle Database drops the database and
> deletes all control files and datafiles listed in the control file. If
> the database used a server parameter file (spfile), it is also deleted.
> Source:
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_8009.htm#sthref8446
>
> Given that you are a RAC expert I would expect you would also have
> noticed that SRVCTL has both a -d and -i switch. There is a reason
> for the distinction. Which is why I noted in my original post that while
> this was not that important with stand-alone it is critical when
> discussing RAC.
>
> I'm not making up these definitions. They are the ones published in the
> on-line Oracle docs.

How are your ramblings any way related to the topics that are being addressed by other people in this thread?

You continue to post items that are unrelated to the discussion at hand, are obvious, and not really contributing to moving the discussion forward.

Whatever. Received on Sun Oct 29 2006 - 19:14:57 CST