Re: Lost sys and system passwords

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2006 12:24:22 -0700

On Oct 28, 1:55 pm, "hpuxrac" <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Stan Brown wrote:
> > 'm trying to resurect an old 9.0.1 instance. I;ve got the instance starting
> > up OK, but i have long since forgotten the sys and ssytem passwords (well I
> > _thought_ I rembered them). In ab case, I found this with a Goolge search:
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/yfy5xa
>
> > But, when I try that I get:
>
> > oracle_at_phsepi2:~$ sqlplus
>
> > SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Sat Oct 28 12:55:03 2006
>
> > (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> > Enter user-name: / @debian as sysdba
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-24314: service handle not initialized
>
> > Debian does seem to be the sid:
>
> > cat /etc/oratab
>
> > debian:/home/oracle/9.01/software/app/oracle/product/release:Y
>
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> > And how can I fix this problem?ps -ef | grep oracle
>
> export ORACLE_SID=whatever your ps shows the instance name is
>
> lsnrctl start
>
> sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
>
> Do all this as the oracle user with correct environment variables setup
> ( ORACLE_HOME )- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

if on a UNIX platform then sign-on as Oracle (or who ever is Oracle software owner)
export the ORACLE_SID=xxx as suggested but also unset TWO_TASK if set this will interfere with sysdba connections
sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba
alter user system identified by new_password etc...

It is also possible to overlay the password file via the Oracle account.

Finally any DBA can change other users passwords so you might also check for OUTLN and PERFSTAT being created with known to you passwords.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Oct 28 2006 - 14:24:22 CDT