Re: DB Design - Architecture Question.

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 28 Oct 2006 05:35:26 -0700

AnGanesh wrote:
> Dear Michal,
>
> Thanks for your mail and the links.Our requirement is the client is
> having 3 different systems for each business line and financing module,
> he wants to keep a generic application. Data keyed in from individaul
> business lines will be moved to this generic application/db and this
> application will process this business data and will compute money
> flow. We don't have control over all the 3 applications. We are the
> owner of one application and this generic system. We have to move the
> data from other system as well... I meant a generic database in this
> sense. I was thinking of a generic interface, which will populate data
> in my generic database and all 3 different systems will give data in
> the required format.

Even senior people with years of database design experience can find themselves heading down a path of no scalability when trying to implement generic database designs.

Read Tom Kyte's most recent book and get some ideas of why you don't want to use generic database designs. You need to use and exploit the features that oracle provides to create useable, scalable, and high performing systems.

Stay away from doing a fixed price bid on this system if the generic database features are not removed from the specifications is my advice.

Look at purchasing a packaged application such as the oracle biz suite or other financial applications that should be just fine for interfacing with data fed in from multiple sources. Received on Sat Oct 28 2006 - 07:35:26 CDT