The delay in backup controlfile as trace?

From: Ultra Kiasu <ultrakiasu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2006 00:36:47 -0700

Using Oracle 9i, on HPUX IA64 11.23, Hitachi HDS Storage system.

Sometimes, when my DBA is performing a online hotbackup, the backup controlfile trace file is missing. We did a manual trace, and discovered that the tracefile creation is delayed, even the system returned the message "Database altered"..

  Alter database backup controlfile to trace;

  Database altered

Even sometimes, the current redo logs are not flushed to archive logs immediately when issue command "alter system switch logfile;"

Anyone know how to minimise this delay?

We are running a quick shadow image using the Hitachi HDS storage system, the snapshot backup take no longer than 2 mins to complete, but the creation of control trace files or flushing of archivelog take much longer than 5 mins to complete.

Thus render my backup incomplete, or useless for recovery purpose, and inserting a hardcoded delay is not really productive.

Any solution? Received on Fri Oct 27 2006 - 02:36:47 CDT