Re: find/replace on long field

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2006 13:55:45 -0700

Hugh wrote:
> I have a table where I am searching for text in a long field to be
> replaced in Oracle 8.
>

> I have created something like
>
> update table_tbl
> set FIELD =
> replace(FIELD,'text_to_be_Replaced','new_text_to_be_inserted')
> where FIELD like '%'||'text_to_be_Replaced'||'%'
>
> but that does not work since you can not run an oracle function on a
> Long field. Since this database works with 3rd party software,
> changing the field to a CLOB is not a viable option.
>

> any recommendations?

I honestly don't remember if this works, but you may try writing the routine in a 3GL like java and chunk up the string there. Slow as molasses if you have lot of rows, and I don't have an 8.0 (gulp) database handy with which to test, but it is worth considering.

HTH, Steve Received on Thu Oct 26 2006 - 15:55:45 CDT