DB Design - Architecture Question.

From: AnGanesh <anganesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2006 09:38:31 -0700

DB Design - Architecture Question.

All,

Our Application runs on Java and Oracle 9i. We are planning to have a generic database where a set of tables will be populated with data from
more than one source (couple of oracle databases and one SQL Server DB).

Let's say, GENERIC_TBL1 in my genric database will be populated from different source databases.

Whenever, the source DB is populated we would like to have the GENERIC_TBL1 in generic schema populated with the data at real time. I can think of couple of options, we would like to go for an option, where the effor required is minimal and flexibility of including more source databases.

  1. Oralce data replication ( I am not sure, whether a table can get inputs from multiple different dbs (oracle and sqlserver)
  2. Using Change data capture
  3. Using Oracle Streams
  4. Using Oracle queuing technique.
  5. Using Java queues.

Would like to know, whether anyone has worked in this kind of distributed DB environment and the efficient solution for this?

Thanks and Regards
A Ganesh Received on Thu Oct 26 2006 - 11:38:31 CDT