SGA and PGA

From: <aprinsloo_at_sagetelecom.net>
Date: 26 Oct 2006 09:15:09 -0700

Oracle 9i Standard Edition
Red Hat Linux 5

I'd appreciate any help on the following senario and how to divide up Oracle mem.

We have 4G total on server and I have allocated based on Oracle recomendations for an OLTP system 640 meg to PGA (PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET

As a starting point should I set SGA max size to 2500 meg and leave the rest to OS? What would I allocate to shared pool, buffer cache, large pool and java pool within this area?

Last question, Is buffer cache equivalent to MS Sql server data cache, if not what it be in Oracle?

Thx in advance. Received on Thu Oct 26 2006 - 11:15:09 CDT