Re: Oracle 10g Install Question

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Oct 2006 07:19:00 -0700

On Oct 25, 10:52 pm, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
> Brian Peasland wrote:
> > ame..._at_iwc.net wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
>
> > > I have a quick question about installing Oracle 10g. We have 65
> > > databases we need to roll out the upgrade to. So, we want to use a
> > > response file and do a silent install.
>
> > > The documentation says that one can run the installer withthe -record
> > > flag to create the response file, but at the end to select Exit and
> > > I'll have the response file recorded.
>
> > > My question is, during the OUI process it asks me if I want to upgrade
> > > my existing database. Is this something that I should do or can do
> > > with the response file? Has anyone ever installed 10g AND upgraded an
> > > existing database using a response file?
>
> > > Or, am I better off installing the software and using export/import?
>
> > > I just do not want OUI to start the DBUA if this is not the right path
> > > to take........
>
> > > Thanks!
>
> > Personally, I would just install the software and not upgrade the
> > databases. Surely you don't want to upgrade development, test, and
> > production databases *all* at the same time do you?
>
> > Cheers,
> > Brian
>
> > --
>
> > Brian Peasland
> > d..._at_nospam.peasland.net
> >http://www.peasland.net
>
> > Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me.Well, we have to upgrade test first. So, the whole thing is when we do
> the 65 production databases we want to make it a silent
> install/upgrade. Can this all be done via the response file, or can we
> only install the software via the response file and then use
> export/import for the database?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Every question that is being asked interactively is in the responsefile. So yes, you can upgrade them automatically, provided you have a correct responsefile. You can record a responsefile using the -record -destinationFile switches.
Whether you actually can upgrade them, depends on a few prerequisites usually described in the Migration Manual. It is appreciated you read that manual.
As you are employed by a government agency, you probably have plenty of time for that.
Please stop asking questions you can easily answer yourself by reading the relevant documentation.
I'm not sure why you continue to dump those questions consistently in volunteer forums.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA