Re: Does Ref. Integrity help CBO ?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:06:48 GMT

klabu wrote:
> 10gR2
>
> Does Ref. Integrity help CBO ?
> or maybe my Q should be: Does Statistics take RI into consideration ?
>
> So if say joining n tables....
> Does the fact that these tables have RI amongst them "help" CBO do a
> "better" job
> than if they just have PKs defined ?
>

> thanks, hope i'm making sense, I tried ;)

I don't know for sure, but my inclination is that a FK constraint by itself does not help the CBO. However, indexing the FK columns *may* help the join performance. If that is the case, it is the index and not the FK constraint that is providing benefit.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net