Re: Sybase/Sql server Outer Joins, nulls, and counts

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: 24 Oct 2006 15:48:54 -0700

dba_222_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hmm. The logic was all laid out in the examples in the first posting.
> It is the same logic that has worked perfectly hundreds,
> probably thousands, of times for me before.
>
> Oracle would not let such a statement even compile.
> (can't have an AND without first having a WHERE)
> The compiler would give an error. In which case, I would have just
> corrected the syntax and got on with it.

In that case Oracle is not allowing the use of standard SQL because it is perfectly legal to use AND in the ON clause. But I suspect you are talking about Oracle 8i and the old-style outer join syntax, which is non-standard anyway. AFAIK your queries are legal in Oracle 9.

--
David Portas, SQL Server MVP

Whenever possible please post enough code to reproduce your problem.
Including CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements usually helps.
State what version of SQL Server you are using and specify the content
of any error messages.

SQL Server Books Online:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/ms130214(en-US,SQL.90).aspx