Re: Can anyone explain this huge increase in logical I./O....?

From: <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2006 11:43:06 -0700

> In addition to what has already been mentioned, "SQL*Net message from
> client" is 112.61 seconds for the slow database compared to 69.23
> seconds for the fast database. The slow database waited 43 seconds
> longer for responses from the client than the fast database.

Yeah, I noticed this myself, but my main concern is the huge difference in logical I/O for the same SQL with the same plan.

> You will also note that there are fewer leaf blocks in the faster
> database's indexes, which indicates that the index entries are more
> densely packed than that of the slower database's indexes. Fewer
> blocks means that there will likely be fewer consistent reads.

I agree but this does not justify the 20 times increase in logical I/O, something else is going on here.

> My guess is that the fast database was recently created from an import.

Spot on - I copied the data from the slow DB into the fast DB via import/export. Good guess :)

Matt Received on Mon Oct 23 2006 - 13:43:06 CDT