Re: 15 thousand runners out at Oracle Open World

From: Glen S <stromqattelusdotnet_at_ignorethis.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:32:48 GMT

hpuxrac wrote:
> Well geez when I asked if some people wanted to join up for some runs
> out on the Embarcadero I didn't expect such a tremendous response.
>
> It turns out some big womens ( well mostly womens ) marathon is in
> progress today ( sunday ). Nike must be a big sponsor lots of people
> with "Teams in training" type shirts.
>
> I was out fairly early about 6:50 am from my hotel and headed down to
> the Ferry building. Just as I turned left and started running on the
> Embarcadero I saw the police escort with the leaders from race joining
> up ( from a separate street ) on the Embarcadero.
>
> I'm not as fast as I used to be but I stayed right behind the lead pack
> for several miles down to Fisherman's warf. To be honest, the leaders
> were not pushing it extremely hard since they had 26 miles to run.
> There were several other men hanging behind and to the side of who will
> turn out to be the race winners in that pack.
>
> There was some television coverage of the race so if you saw a tall
> bald guy with an hp logo on his shirt well I guess you saw me.
>
> Then after turning around I ran back on the Embarcadero and watched 15
> thousand people run/jog/walk on their way out to the Golden Gate
> bridge.
>
> It's beautiful weather out here this year!

I know, I am staying in the hotel across from where it started from (Union Square) and it must have gotten underway at 5:30am this morning because I was rudely awoken by some ladies voice blaring over a loudspeaker and echoing off the buildings right about then.

Is is gorgeous weather alright, I left in 4" of snow on friday night and brought a heavier jacket thinking that Oct might be quite chilly here on the wet coast, but it turns out (so far) that its not suited at all for the weather we are having. However this being my 2nd OOW I got a cool alumni jacket yesterday when I registered, so it's a tad better.

I'm not as ambitious as you, but I did walk all the way from the MC to fishermans wharf, and back via chinatown last night. This is a nice city to walk around and hopefully this weather hold out for the week! Last year in sept I remember freezing in my light jacket at the wrap up event.

Anyone other regulars from this group down here this year? If so we should all get together for a beer or something..

cheers Received on Sun Oct 22 2006 - 13:32:48 CDT