Re: Apps DBA

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2006 15:22:19 -0700

On Oct 21, 5:09 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> soalvajav..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > what are things that Oracle AppsDBA need to know extra than a regular
> > Oracle DBADepends on the app but it is often a completely different skill set and
> depends on the version.
>
> Going forward I would say J2EE, PL/SQL, ERD, UML, Fusion Middleware (at
> a minimum the App Server), possibly Forms and Reports. Oh yes ... the
> basic concepts and architecture of apps including patching and debugging.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

It depends on the definition of apps DBA. If you mean Oracle Applications DBA then Daniel has covered it pretty well. Some companies have Application DBA's and Infrastructure DBA;s. The infrastructure DBA installs Oracle, tunes the db, and applies patches but does not otherwise touch the database. The application DBA supports the developer staff and applies all object structure changes and pl/sql code changes to the database. SOX separation of powers/responsibilities.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sat Oct 21 2006 - 17:22:19 CDT