Re: The Need for speed

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 20 Oct 2006 06:54:43 -0700

Comments embedded.
General Fear wrote:
> I recently was put on a project that required me to improve the speed
> of a pl/sql code.

By what factor?

> To give you an idea what I am working with, forget the 3rd normalized
> form. This is more like 4th or 5th normalized form. Retrieving data
> requires joining many tables with a lot of records.

Which should not present insurmountable obstacles if you approach this properly. The first thing I would do is purchase a copy of "Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals", by Jonathan Lewis, and start reading. You'll find a wealth of information on how you can get better performance from the optimizer which will help this PL/SQL code.

> Do you all have tricks of the trade that has worked for you?

Not without seeing the code, and an explain plan for the queries it's using. Also invoke DBMS_PROFILER to see what the PL/SQL engine is doing with it. Such output can be extremely helpful. For examples of how to use DBMS_PROFILER go to

http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_profiler.html

> Suggestions that I should try?

Again, you're asking us to evaluate that which we cannot see. Clairevoyance is not a talent the members herein possess.

> Pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
> Anything can help at this point.
>
> Regards

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Oct 20 2006 - 08:54:43 CDT