Re: serializable isolation level behavior question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:20:26 -0700

joeNOSPAM_at_BEA.com wrote:

>>> Hi Dan. I didn't notice where anyone was limiting to one application
>>> or specifying multiple isolation levels. Let us posit one application
>>> that hopes to use Oracle's serializable isolation level, and one
>>> rogue/bumbling admin that mistakenly truncates a table. Should
>>> Oracle behave as claimed for the application's serializable tx?
>>> JoeBumbling or not ... if that admin truncates a production table while
>> people are using the app I would expect that to be their last day of
>> employment.
>>
>> You are correct no one limited it to a single app. But if it was two
>> different apps I would expect that they would never be hitting the
>> same objects.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington

> You're welcome! I think we agree that idiocy or malice is required to
> trigger this issue.
> To narrow back in on the point, it is still something I would report
> to Oracle for them to harden their transaction-safety in this regard.
> The innocent ongoing serializable transaction should not be allowed
> to silently corrupt. If a drunk drives his SUV the wrong way onto the
> freeway, he is fully responsible for the results, but if he should hit
> another SUV, the occupants of this second SUV should rightly
> expect that at least their seatbelts and airbags will work as
> advertised.
> The SUV vendor would certainly be very interested in preventing any
> circumstance where an accident could occur without the car's safety
> devices deploying or working when they could have helped.
>
> Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems

Bob Jones is pointing out, correctly, that TRUNCATE is DDL: Not DML.

Given that he is correct about this then I would expect that the behaviour given a truncate should be the same as that from DROP TABLE. With that consideration how do you feel about what you are observing?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington