Re: Moving Oracle from one computer to another

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2006 09:07:51 -0700

Stan Brown wrote:
> In <1161265886.154141.76120_at_m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com> "sybrandb" <sybrandb_at_gmail.com> writes:
>

> >On Oct 19, 3:13 pm, Stan Brown <s..._at_panix.com> wrote:
> >> I'm in the process of upgrading a number of computers to newer/faster/more
> >> reliable hardware. One of these has an Oracle instance on it. I need this
> >> instance to talk to an Oracle 7 instance on another machine, so I need to
> >> keep the 9.01 Oracle instance on one of the machines being upgraded. This
> >> machine however will have a different hostname, than the one it replaces.
> >> This is running under Linux.
>
> >For an answer you should provide an error number. Crystal balls have
> >worn out here.
>

> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
>
> BTW, beither machine is naed debian, something I should have clarified in
> my first post.
>

> --
> "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve
> neither liberty nor safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

    Cause: Oracle Net could not locate the net service name specified in the tnsnames.ora configuration file.

    Action: Perform these steps:

.
.
.

the full doc, with list of action steps, can be found at

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/homepage?remark=tahiti

where you will find a link labeled "Look Up Error Messages" Received on Thu Oct 19 2006 - 11:07:51 CDT