how to generate a randomized "seqno" column

From: Cris <cris119_at_operamail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:19:39 +0200

I have to write a pl/sql stored procedure that generates n rows identified by a progressive ID and with another column that gives the rows a unique, random seqno.

E.g.:

ID SEQNO
-- -----

1 3
2 6
3 1
4 2
5 5
6 4

The first silly idea that comes to my mind is to loop from 1 to n and, inside the loop, to call repeatedly dbms_crypto.randomInteger until he's able to find a new unique seqno.

This looks to me like a performance killer. Are there more intelligent alternatives?

Thank you. Kind regards,

--

spamto:cris119_at_operamail.com

blind faith in your leaders or
in anything will get you killed Received on Thu Oct 19 2006 - 10:19:39 CDT