Re: drop temp tablespace takes forever

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:05:26 GMT

> Thanks. I'll update my information.
>
> What made no sense to me was "INCLUDING CONTENTS" but I guess with GTT's
> it might be important.

To me, it is an unfortunate side affect of the AND DATAFILES clause. You cannot specify DATAFILES without INCLUDING CONTENTS. Personally, I'd like to see the following command be made available in 11g:

DROP TABLESPACE ts_name INCLUDING DATAFILES;

If the tablespace is empty, the tablespace will be dropped and the datafiles removed from the filesystem. However, if the tablespace is not empty, the above should fail.

Even though I use it all the time, I'm still a little uneasy whenever I issue:

DROP TABLESPACE ts_name INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES;

I always have to query DBA_SEGMENTS first before issuing the above, but I'm cautious I could be making a mistake which would drop a tablespace that contains segments I still need.

The above is my suggestion for a future enhancement!!! :)

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net