drop temp tablespace takes forever

From: maxim2k <maxim2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:16:03 +0200

Hi,

I'm running Oracle Database 10g R2 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

For some reason the temp01.dbf file has grown to 32GB lately!

So in order to bring it down, I tried to follow the directions in the following article:

<http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Tablespaces/TBS_3.shtml#Dropping%20/%20Recreating%20Temporary%20Tablespace%20Method>

Here is the suggested process:

But I'm stuck at the dropping the original TEMP tablespace with the followinf command:

DROP TABLESPACE TEMP INCLUDING CONTENTS AND DATAFILES; The above command has been running for an hour or so on my server and didn't finish yet.

Is it supposed to be so slow?

How can I check its progress?

If I need to, how do I kill it without corrupting the database?

Thanks. Received on Wed Oct 18 2006 - 09:16:03 CDT