Re: Reorganise local tablespace

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2006 17:16:58 -0700

On Oct 15, 1:06 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Mark D Powell wrote:

> >> What makes you think a reorg. is required?
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
>
> > The need to reorganize a tablespace to reclaim and consolidate free
> > extents is pretty much associated with dictionary managed tablespaces.I agree but that wasn't my point. It appeared to me that the OP had some
> bit of mythology tucked into their belt that generically said you must
> frequently reorg. I was asking for what metric led them to the
> conclusion that any specific point-in-time was the time to do it.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Daniel, I understood your answer and point. I just thought since I had the time that I would expand upon your post for people new to Oracle to make it clear that reorganizing a tablespace to consolidate free extents is largely a think of the past and I made it a point to repeat your metrics requirement since even under dictionary managment there was no point unless you predetermined that such action would provide more usuable free space.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Oct 17 2006 - 19:16:58 CDT