Re: serializable isolation level behavior question

From: <joeNOSPAM_at_BEA.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2006 16:19:11 -0700

On Oct 17, 3:42 pm, "Bob Jones" <e..._at_me.not> wrote:

> >> Yes, truncate does not generate any undo. In this case, you should use
> >> delete instead.
>
> > True, that explains why anybody who knows Oracle could expect this
> > behaviour.
>
> > But that is not standard compliant, is it?What standard? What does the standard say?- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

What happens when you try to commit the serializable tx? If it succeeds,
then that's seriously wrong. However, serializable isolatiion level includes
the repeatable-read isolation level which guarantees that such a transaction
will always get the same result for the same query, if repeated, for the life
of the current transaction, and this example seems to show a failure in that
already. I would expect oracle to either retain and return the same query
results or throw a 'cannot serialize' exception during the repeat query.

Joe Weinstein at BEA Systems Received on Tue Oct 17 2006 - 18:19:11 CDT