Re: most expeditious way to update a large number of rows

From: <mylesv_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2006 08:37:54 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

> Unless your hardware is substantially different from everyone else's
> the chance of catastrophic hardware failure is minimal. So I'd tend to
> err in the direction of performance with larger log files.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

Daniel,

I hope you were knocking on wood as you typed that :-)

I decided to go with 5 groups, each sized at 100 MB. ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET is set to 1800, forcing a log switch (and archive) every 30 minutes.

My update was successful, with the predicted amount of redo being generated (thanks, Brian!) The archiver was able to keep up.

Thanks,
Myles Received on Tue Oct 17 2006 - 10:37:54 CDT