Re: data guard log_archive_dest_2 problem....

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 17 Oct 2006 07:44:04 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:
> new_b_dba wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I create a data guard configuration with the wizard, it puts a
> > very long connect string in my log_archive_dest_2. (port, host,
> > oracle_home etc.etc).
> > I don't like that! I'd like to have something like:
> > log_archive_dest_2=service=STANDBY LGWR SYNC
> >
> > But if I change it with alter system etc., it messes up and makes a
> > log_archive_dest_3.
> > Afterwards, all get messed up.
>
> Why don't you post relevant details like what os both sytems are on,
> what oracle versions and patchsets, etc.
>
> Then give us some sample output to look at that demonstrates your
> error. Something like ...
>
> 1) show parameter log_archive_dest_2
>
> 2) show us the alter system set command that you used ( exactly ) and
> capture the messages returned by oracle
>
> 3) display again the log_archive_dest_2 ( and 3 if relevant ).
>
> The information you did supply doesn't give anyone enough to help you
> so far.

Certainly it does. If you want to use a tnsnames.ora entry in log_archive_dest_2 you need to configure the entry in this manner:

log_archive_dest_2='SERVICE=<TNS ENTRY FOR STANDBY DB> reopen=60'

It should find the tnsnames.ora entry you're referencing and funtion as expected.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Oct 17 2006 - 09:44:04 CDT