Re: refresh test from prod in wrong way

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.spam-me-not_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 05:28:41 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:19:15 -0700, soalvajavab1 wrote:

> in our company everytime they refresh the test from production, all the
> user accounts will be gone!
>
> what is the typical way of refreshing a test db from prod? How do you
> avoid this problem typically?

Try planning. From what you say, I conclude that the test db is refreshed using a very sensitive and discriminating tool called "rman". That method is called "scorched earth method". I would prefer using TTS (transportable tablespaces) or populating smaller databases by some tool able to produce logically consistent subsets of the production database. I enjoyed a great success with Princeton Softech tools. Not only are those tools functioning well, Princeton Softech also has great tech support which was able to solve all problems that have ever bothered me with their tool. That ought to be illegal now in the days of outsourcing, when it is completely acceptable that you can't install an expensive database on a supported configuration, without installing database patches first.

Disclaimer:
I don't work for Princeton Softech nor have I ever worked for them. I'm just a happy customer.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com