Proxy Logins and Auditing

From: rspeaker <rspeaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2006 19:28:07 -0700

I have recently inherited a database that uses proxy authentication at the OS level. I'm still trying to understand the auditing that is in place, but it appears the audit records are written to the OS and are controlled by the Unix admins. Now, access to the unix Oracle account is secure, as I must login as myself and use SUDO to su to oracle. However, the proxy authentication into the database is then done as "oracle" meaning anyone who has access to su to oracle can then get into the database without a password. What makes me uneasy is that 2 (or more) DBAs could access the oracle account concurrently, and the audit trail may not provide sufficient information on who did what activities. The Sys admins say they can correlate the database activity to the OS terminal session, and then correlate that to who logged in on that terminal. Seems like a lot of effort involved if we need to find out who did what, when we could collect the same information much easier by forcing each DBA to have a dedicated DB account.

Looking for a little feedback on how others do it. All of my other databases are set up with each DBA having their own account, and auditing records being written to the database. I can understand the concern with that, as the DBA could truncate the table, and don't have a big problem with the audit records going to the OS instead. Am I completely off track in thinking the above proxy method has some holes in it? In your companies, is this policy (individual vs shared DB account) dictated by your DBA team or your Information Security officers? Received on Mon Oct 16 2006 - 21:28:07 CDT