Re: ORA-03134

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 16 Oct 2006 13:15:29 -0700

Stan Brown wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade a Linux machine that collects some data from an
> 7.3.4.5 instance (using Perl DBI). On the machine I am replacing I had
> installed Oracle 9.

And 9i will 'talk' with 7.3.4.5.

> because it seemed easy I installed the Debian package for XE (the new
> machine is an Ubuntu machine).

But 10g won't, not directly.

> But, once I got tnsnames set (what I think
> is) correctly, I get the ORA-03134 error.

As you should. 10g will not converse with 7.3.4.5 directly, as I've said before.

> Is there any way to work around
> this, short of starting all over and installing Oracle 9 on the new
> machine?

You need a release of Oracle which will communicate with 7.3.4.5; 10g isn't it. You'll need 9i or some earlier version of Oracle.

> Thanks for any words of wisdom.

The inability of 10g to communicate with any release older than 9i is documented.

> --
> "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve
> neither liberty nor safety."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Oct 16 2006 - 15:15:29 CDT