Re: Oracle string issue

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 16 Oct 2006 09:46:29 -0700

nilaybhagat_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Im using Oracle 9.2 and I am having trouble extracting digits from a
> string. I tried using LIKE %[0-9]% but this version does not support
> that. I also cannot use regular expressions for that same reason. Is
> there an easier way to identify digits or do I have to create a
> function to do that.
>
> Thanks!

Look at INSTR, DECODE, and TRANSLATE functions as well as the CASE statement.

Those are oracle extentions to SQL language that execute very quickly.

If you build your own plsql function to do what you want, it has overhead much above and beyond the amount that you will experience using the oracle SQL extensions. Received on Mon Oct 16 2006 - 11:46:29 CDT