Re: most expeditious way to update a large number of rows

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 16 Oct 2006 09:43:08 -0700

mylesv_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks, Daniel. I have five redo logs, each 10MB in size. Do you
> think this will suffice? I'm not concerned with the standby database.
> I'll let FAL handle that.

You are running a system that's important enough to support with a standby that has only 10 meg log files?

Wow.

Is there some history about why those log files were created so small? To me, it doesn't make sense to create log files with anything less than say multiples of 100's of meg and potentially much larger.

Do you understand the extra work that oracle performs on each log switch?

So with your current system you can only generate 50 meg of redo before you are out potentially of available space for more activity?

Ouch. If you must stay with 10 meg log files ( I wouldn't ) then seriously think about allocating a whole lot more of then. Maybe a gig worth? Received on Mon Oct 16 2006 - 11:43:08 CDT