Re: Oracle 10G RAC install on AIX 5.3 - newbee question on required hardware

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 14 Oct 2006 15:20:11 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> goyald_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello
> > I need to learn installation of Oracle 10 G RAC. I am able to get two
> > AIX 5.3 boxes that have a shared SCSI drive between them.
> >
> > Both AIX 5.3 boxes are on same 100 mbps LAN.
> >
> > Do I need anything else (e.g. any clustering software), before I can
> > install Oracle RAC?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> A shared SCSI drive between them is of zero value for RAC.

You may be able to use this for a bare bones small RAC install. Sorry I don't have any experience with the operating system you are ( thinking of ) using.

Jeffrey Hunter over at http://www.idevelopment.info has a bunch of articles on setting up RAC on lots of different setups. You might want to check that site out.

Jeff has a new article that involves 2 linux boxes ( centos 4.4 ) and an iSCSI connection that looks interesting.

> This does not mean two servers can mount the same file system. It
> means two servers can share the storage on a block by block basis
> with no locking. The choices are either RAW (usually with ASM) or
> a clustered file system such as NetApp, OCFS, or OCFS2.

Many people use RAW without ASM.

There are many different clustered file systems beyond the short and incomplete list noted above. For example, Veritas provides clustered file systems across several different operating systems including linux, hpux, solaris etc. Oracle provides OCFS and OCFS2 but seems to be rapidly backing away from those choices.

Have fun with what you are doing and keep us posted on your progress. Received on Sat Oct 14 2006 - 17:20:11 CDT