Archiver error - internal only until freed - but recovery_area is *not* full.

From: BD <robert.drea_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Oct 2006 10:06:54 -0700

10.2.0.2 on Windows 2003 SP1 4.06.001.

History: Last week we ran an import while in archive log mode. Oh well. The recovery file dest filled up.

db_recovery_file_dest_size - 2GB.

db_recovery_file_dest = D:\oracle\product\flash_recovery_area

We did not need the archive log files at that point, so we shut down, removed the files and restarted.

We took the db out of archivelog mode, and continued on with no problems.

Yesterday: refreshed all non-system schemas with a fresh import (this is part of an upgrade process from 8 to 10). We ensured that the db was NOT in archive log mode before the import. The import ran error free.

This morning: db siezed with an archiver error. ORA-19815: WARNING: db_recovery_file_dest_size of 2147483648 bytes is 100.00% used, and has 0 remaining bytes available.

D:\oracle\product\flash_recovery_area\<SID> and all its subdirectories has about 300MB of archive files. Nowhere near the 2GB max.

Workaround - DBA increased db_recovery_file_dest_size to 5GB.

The closest I've found on Metalink is note 122636.1, which recommends using the REOPEN=5 clause in the log_archive_dest_1 parameter when restarting immediately after clearing the recovery area when it is full.

But this isn't really relevant to what we are seeing, as we are seeing alerts about the recovery area being full when it is not.

I've heard a bit about an rman connection to this issue, but find no indication of this.

Comments appreciated.

BD Received on Fri Oct 13 2006 - 12:06:54 CDT