Re: High CPU usage

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 13 Oct 2006 04:55:50 -0700

shiva wrote:
> I did set CURSOR_SHARING to SIMILAR this morning and it doesn't seem
> like it is giving any relief. I made this change dynamically and then
> flushed shared_pool. waiting for more then 5 hours and cpu utilization
> is still same. Do I need to reboot the database for this parameter to
> take effect?

Relief from what exactly?

I don't clearly understand what you think the problems are on your system. Look back at a prior response of mine and try to supply the answers.

Optimized and efficient oracle systems are cpu bound. Maybe your system is optimized and efficient ( well the lack of using bind variables argues against that ) and maybe it's not.

Are people complaining? Is the system good enough to provide consistent response times for your current applications?

My guess but it's only a guess is that not using bind variables may be a significant problem on your system. Time for you to do some legwork and research I think. Why were the applications apparently developed not using them? Received on Fri Oct 13 2006 - 06:55:50 CDT