Re: AIX Vs HP-UX Vs Sun Solaris for Oracle

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 16:04:29 -0700

oracle dba wrote:

> I don't understand the purpose of these question, but still I am
> sending what I know right now. But still I ask, which is the best
> course combination with ORACLE, so that I do that.

Those particular questions are the ones one would ask if one were deciding which platform is the best for running Oracle. You are asking which course is the best for you to take, although apparently English isn't your first language. That's ok.

It doesn't really matter which course you take, unless you are in an area that has a particular concentration of a particular operating system. If you can figure that out, take that course. The differences between the unix operating systems from Oracle's point of view are so small they share many publications. From an employer's point of view, they would be looking for experience in whatever operating system _they_ have. Some employers are bright enough to understand that is silly, and also understand it will take many months to get a newbie up to speed in their environment, no matter how perfectly the skillset matches on paper. Others are dumb enough not to care.

You may want to research if any of those operating systems run on a pc you happen to own ( http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/ ), and are freely downloadable. If so, that might be the course to take, you can get a head start on your own. The operating systems that Oracle uses primarily for development and push for sale change over time, so what may be true there now wasn't true 2 years ago and may not be true 2 years from now, it depends on who pays to be Larry's friend. Solaris seems to be the friend just now. AIX tends to be a bit idiosyncratic. hp-ux pays my bills. Heck, I've been on all of them, sometimes even in the same shop. It helps to know them to talk to the sysadmins (or if you are the sysadmin), but as to which course, it doesn't much matter in the long run. The first unix I used doesn't even exist any more.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Here's a nickel, kid, go buy yourself an operating system.  Keep the