Re: Rac on Linux

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 13:58:42 -0700

Fuzzy wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
> > Like what exactly?
>
> You talk about 'the SA turns over the SAN to the DBA'. To me, that
> implies 'before the database is installed'. EMC, McData, Hitachi,
> NetApp and the others all have config and load analyzers in the product
> for that. Talk to the respective reps for more details.
>
> For the live load simulation, ASM is just another application and is
> tested under load exactly the same as any other application. Use
> loadrunner or equiv. The capture and analysis is no more difficult
> that using raw devices, other than the app (ASM) doing it's own load
> balancing on top of pure disk interaction. Obviously, since ASM has
> it's own balancing technique, as do a number of SANs, pick one ...
> otherwise the two will trip each other up.
>

> An article on this topic:
> http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1172225,00.html
>

> You don't trust Oracle ASM; I don't mistrust it. You are more
> comfortable with the information and interface from the tools and
> utilities you've used before; for my purposes ASM's interface and
> information is quite satisfactory.
>
> We're going no where on this - each point has a counterpoint. Why
> don't we just leave it at that.?

ASM is a technology that oracle is certainly pushing aggressively.

If you have a problem with a disk drive or disk controller or storage unit/EMC sym/whatever, you get to work with support from the vendor ( or whoever you have your support contract with ).

If you have an ASM related database problem you get to work with oracle support. Hmmm ... wonder if that's where we want to go to? Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 15:58:42 CDT