Re: How long is long enough for primary key ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:58:46 -0700

krislioe_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you for your response.
>

>> why not use that for  PK?
>> Adding an extra index (PK + UK) will
>> cause extra overhead on  inserts, which
>> will affect performance negatively.

> I don't use PORef as PK , because the user should be able to change it.
> That is the reason.
>
> I have no other choice but using PK+UK, do I ?
>
> Thank you,
> xtanto

You have many other choices but what is coming through loudly and clearly is that no one has sat down and written out the business rules in plain language. You give every indication of coding in a vacuum.

Get together with a data analyst and write the rules first. You are weeks away from writing your first SQL statement.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington