Re: High CPU usage

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 06:40:56 -0700

Valentin Minzatu wrote:
> Without having access to the system and more indepth info, I can only
> recommend you to try setting CURSOR_SHARING to SIMILAR. It should
> provide some benefit (20-50% reduction in CPU usage) for the not bound
> queries and most important should not affect the bound ones.

Valentin has a recommendation worth considering.

You already know that your applications are not using bind variable. All of the time not using them? Some do some don't?

Obviously this is something that needs to be fixed if at all possible. Not using bind variables is a huge scalability inhibitor ... it makes it just impossible at a certain level of usage which is highly system and application dependent.

Using CURSOR_SHARING ( SIMILAR or FORCE etc ) is a band aid approach that can often be used effectively ( hopefully temporarily ) to limit the amount of bleeding.

If you are really running with the default EXACT ( which really means no sharing ) ( a look at your parameters from the other posting seems to note that is what you are running ) may not be a good choice in your situation. Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 08:40:56 CDT