Starting 2 instances of the same Oracle database on the same machine

From: Giri <girishkrg_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 05:18:57 -0700

Is it possible to start 2 instances of the same database on the same machine.
1) I create an Oracle database with SID, say, 'myOracle' and start it (login as SYS user and start the database) 2) Now, is it possible to start another instance of 'myOracle' with the first instance up?
 I'm asking this question because, I was running some scripts which resulted in 2 instances of the same Oracle database running and am not sure how Oracle allowed a user to start 2 instances! As far as I know it should not be possible. Can anybody explain this? Thanks,
Girish Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 07:18:57 CDT